Temporary Residents

A Temporary Resident is a foreign person who is legally authorized to enter Canada on a temporary basis, either as a Visitor, Student, Worker or Temporary Resident Permit Holder.

There are several ways for someone to become a Temporary Resident of Canada, including:

1. Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) – this is an official document placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements to enter or re-enter Canada (for purposes of temporary vacation, work or study).  However, obtaining a Visitor’s Visa does not guarantee entry into Canada.  Among other things, you must convince Canadian immigration officers that your visit is indeed temporary and you have enough money to support themselves during your stay.

2.  Study Permit – allows a person to legally study in Canada (for certain countries, students will also require a Visitor’s Visa).

3.  Work Permit – allows a foreign person to legally work in Canada (for certain countries, workers will also require a Visitor’s Visa).

4.  Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) – visitors to Canada from specific countries must obtain an ETA before traveling to Canada by air.

5.  Super Visa – allows  parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents to visit Canada and stay for up to 2 years per visit. A Super Visa is valid for up to 10 years, allowing for re-entry without having to renew during this time.

6.  Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) Holders – a document issued to a foreign person who is otherwise inadmissible to Canada because of health or criminality, but only if they have a compelling reason to be in Canada do not pose a threat to Canada.  If granted, the TRP allows them to enter the country.  A TRP can be applied for at a consulate or (for US citizens and Permanent Residents only) directly at the Canadian border.

In addition, having Temporary Resident status can also offer a pathway to becoming a Canadian Permanent Resident, including by gaining valuable Canadian work experience.

Whether you are traveling to Canada for a short vacation, to study at one of our leading universities or to work temporarily, you can have peace of mind that your visa application is being processed with the utmost care and detail.  We can assist you with not only putting together an application for temporary residence in Canada.

For more information on Temporary Residency in Canada, or to determine your eligibility, contact us today to speak with a Canadian immigration lawyer!

Like Us