Immigration Law

We assist clients with all types of Canadian immigration law matters, including:

Temporary Resident Visa

We help clients who wish to come to Canada obtain the required Visitor VisaSuper VisaStudy Permit and Work Permit.  In order to obtain any type of temporary resident visa, Canadian immigration authorities must be satisfied that the person’s intention in coming to Canada is only temporary, and that they will leave at the end of their approved stay. This means that, as a visitor, you must show you have sufficient ties to your home country, and that you will be able to financially support yourself during your temporary stay in Canada.

Canadian immigration lawyer Toronto permanent resident family sponsorship

Visiting Canada

A Visitor Visa is an official document stamped in your passport, and shows that you meet the requirements needed to travel to Canada. Whether you are abroad and about to apply for a visitor visa, or someone in Canada who wants to invite a friend or relative, we can help. A Visitor Visa will typically allow a visitor to enter and remain in Canada for up to 6 months at a time.

Only citizens of specific countries require a Visitor Visa. Generally, when assessing an application for a Visitor Visa, Canadian immigration authorities consider the purpose of the visit, whether the applicant has enough financial support for their stay in Canada, and whether the applicant is likely to return to their home country at the end of their visit. However, the approval of this type of visa application is at the discretion on of the visa officer reviewing an application.

Studying in Canada

In order for international students to study in Canada, they must apply for and receive a Study Permit by Canadian immigration authorities.  This will allow them to study in Canada only for a temporary period of time.

In order to qualify for a study permit, international students must satisfy various requirements, some of which include: 

  • satisfying a visa officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your educational studies
  • a letter of acceptance from an educational institution (e.g., college or university)
  • proof that you have enough money to support your stay in Canada, including paying for tuition and living expenses 
  • no record of criminal activity
  • not be a risk to the security of Canada
  • be in good health (complete a medical examination, if required)
  • any other documents required by immigration authorities

We assist international students with all issues related to studying in Canada, including:

  • preparing Study Permit applications
  • applying to extend a study permit
  • advice on their rights and responsibilities as employees in Canada
  • applications to change status to obtain a study permit

Once an international student has successfully completed their educational studies in Canada, then may then apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit, which is valid for up to three years. This work permit will allows them to remain in Canada and work full time for a Canadian business. If the former student is able to obtain at least one year of full-time, skilled work experience, they may then be able to apply for permanent residence through the economic immigration category, including Canadian Experience Class.

Work Permit

In order for a foreign citizen to legally work in Canada, they usually need to obtain obtain a Work Permit.  This includes temporary workers, business people, students and live-in caregivers.  However, some types of work in Canada do not require a work permit, including temporary business visitors, athletes, news media and international students working on campus.

Work permits are generally applied for from outside of Canada.

We help clients looking to work in Canada on a temporary basis, including with initial applications and extensions of their work permits, or change the conditions of a work permit. 

Super Visa

The Super Visa allows parents or grandparents to live with their family in Canada for up to two years at a time.

To be eligible for a Super Visa, applicants must be the parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents, Canadian admissibility requirements and certain other conditions

Canadian visa officers consider several factors before deciding whether to grant a Super Visa, some of which include:

  • the person’s ties to his or her home country (e.g., work)
  • the purpose of the visit
  • they will leave Canada at the end of their stay
  • the person’s family and financial situation
  • the overall economic and political stability of the home country
  • financial support (proof of funds)
  • letter of invitation from Canadian child/grandchild
  • have Canadian medical insurance coverage
  • medical exam
  • the overall economic and political stability of their home country

Applying for Citizenship in Canada

We assist clients in obtaining Canadian citizenship, including by preparing initial citizenship applications and, where appropriate, judicial review of citizenship denial.

  • Assessing and preparing of citizenship applications
  • Preparing response to Canadian Citizenship Residency Questionnaire
  • Judicial Review of unsuccessful Canadian Citizenship applications

Permanent Residence

A permanent resident (“PR”) is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but has not yet been granted Canadian citizenship. A person in Canada temporarily (e.g., a foreign student or foreign worker), is not a permanent resident. 

Permanent residents have more rights than visitors or refugees but not all of the rights of Canadian citizens. Permanent residents can enter legally and live in Canada as long as they follow certain conditions. For instance, as a permanent resident, you have the right to travel outside of, and re-enter Canada.  However, to meet the PR residency obligations, you must generally be physically present in Canada for a minimum of two years (730 days) in every 5-year period.

Bune Law can help you navigate Canada’s immigration system when applying for permanent residence, including Family Sponsorships applications, Express Entry System for Skilled Workers, Canadian Experience Class, Provincial Nominee Program, as well as Humanitarian & Compassionate Grounds.

Refugee Applications

We assist with all refugee matters, including applications for refugee status, sponsoring refugees to Canada and refugee decision appeals before the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB).

  • Preparing Basis of Claim forms and representation before the Refugee Protection Division (RFD) of the IRB
  • appealing unsuccessful refugee claims to the RFD
  • assisting with Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA) applications if refugee claim is finally refused
  • Judicial reviews of unsuccessful refugee claims at the Federal Court of Canada

Appeals and Judicial Review

We assist with immigration and refugee appeals before the Immigration and Refugee Board.  Through an initial consultation, we can help you determine whether a refusal of your application can be appealed and, if so, assist with the process. 

  • appealing unsuccessful sponsorship appeals to the Immigration Appeal Division
  • appealing unsuccessful refugee claims to the Refugee Appeal Division
  • representation at the Immigration Division on inadmissibility for loss of PR status
  • Judicial reviews at the Federal Court of Canada

Contact Us Today

Contact us today to discuss how we can assist with your immigration law needs. Our initial consultations are confidential and may be done by telephone or in-person.

Like Us